Monday, November 12, 2007

Context scramble

Context scramble: This weekend I had an experience that illustrates context scramble perfectly. A context scramble is a situation is which a person's understanding of the event is not what is actually happening. In other words, the context that you put the event in may not be accurate. On Saturday, I was attending the Sacred Dance Festival and we all had ordered box lunches. As I went to get my lunch, I passed a man dressed as a woman, with a blond braid and very nice makeup. I said, "Hello, Michael" thinking that this was a minister of the church that was taking a holiday from being a man. He said, "My name is not Michael, it is Greta. And I am here to serve the food." I thought, "Oh, he doesn't want to admit he is Michael and he thinks that if he is to help out with food, then he must take on the persona of a women since it is a woman's role to serve food and not the role of a male minister of the church." This thought was very upsetting to me. "How sexist," I thought and could not shake this out of my mind. The next day at church I saw the minister, Michael, and thought, "my, his energy has changed--much more masculine." Then I turned around and there was Greta with the same softer, more feminine energy of the day before. Uh-oh! Michael and Greta were not the same person after all. As it turned out, Greta was a transgender man who was actually the chef for the box lunches we had received the day before. And the box lunches were most delicious and prepared with great love and attention to detail. Naturally, my anger had not more reason to be and left as rapidly as it had came. It was perfectly obvious that my reaction had to do with my own misunderstanding of who Greta was and not the actual reality. Wow! Really funny.

No comments: